SLS Case Study
Scientific Laboratory Supplies (SLS) was set up in 1991 and has since grown to become the UK’s largest supplier of scientific equipment, chemicals and consumables and currently have 234 staff and a turnover of £70m. SLS are unique in sourcing and supplying the highest quality, best value products and brands, providing precisely what their customers need when they need it.
Before using ViewPoint CRM, specific departments within SLS were finding it hard to do their job efficiently and effectively, especially the marketing department. It was essential to them that they maintained their position of differentiation in the market, which revolved around their ability to be tailored, flexible and fast, always putting the customer first. Despite having a very customer-centric model, they didn’t have anything that consolidated customer details to a degree they could use and wanted to find out more about who their customers were, what they bought and more. Their marketing department struggled to attain any data that would effectively position marketing collateral or understand where certain things worked or didn’t. Everything SLS did was static and then confined to archives of spreadsheets once completed.
Other Pain Points within SLS;
- No customer relationship history in Territory Sales Management (TSM) heads, including no continuity in the event of staff departure.
- Their antiquated ERP system didn’t allow for certain functionality of modern business requirements.
- No centralised customer data was previously being pulled from numerous other systems, and painting any customer picture would be time-intensive across multiple departments.
- No ability to target markets without significant data-mining again, taking vast amounts of time to get information that should be readily available.
- No way to effectively plan sales calls without years of experience for sales teams of where specific accounts were.
- No mechanism for pipeline management. Sales were having to collate feedback and take time out of sales calls to provide forecasts and opportunities to sales management.
- No way to link cross-departmental activity, track it and then audit the activity.
- Absence of any quotation package that would assist with intelligent pricing.
SLS had been looking for a solution to their problems for several years and got some way down the line with Salesforce and Microsoft Dynamics before it was clear for all the functionality they required, the cost would be prohibitive, so they came to StyleTech.
The breadth of functionality of ViewPoint CRM and the flexibility of how the licencing works has allowed SLS to make the system available throughout their whole business and is used in most departments.
Due to SLS working with a legacy ERP system, there have been numerous areas of specification for development that needed to be implemented to make sure the two systems worked alongside each other.
The addition of Quote Creator allows SLS to create a range of complex quotation templates for its sales teams, both in the field and on the telephone, speeding up the sales process and giving consistency to the look and feel of their documentation.
Taking ViewPoint CRM Reporting to the next level, a bespoke complex Reporting Hub provides real-time access to sales, pipeline and marketing data to the teams that require it.
ViewPoint CRM allowed SLS to select a package that will enable scalability to continue to grow without any licence limit concerns and have currently been using it for two years.
Using ViewPoint CRM has allowed SLS to see a 360 view of their business instantly, instead of working long and hard over a period of time to extract and digest their data. This has not just been the case for the marketing department but the whole organisation.
They are now using accurate live data to make decisions that are now a cornerstone of their flexibility. They can now quantify the effectiveness of quotes, attributing innovative pricing metrics by customer and industry type. ViewPoint CRM has provided greater provision to allow the business to make better decisions on how to support their customers.
We chose StyleTech’s ViewPoint CRM because their system was unlike anything else we had seen. Not only did StyleTech’s functionality tick more boxes than many other systems with functionality like Quotes Hub and Discovery, but their programme allowed for significant bespoke interfacing that would have required cost-prohibitive development from other packages we were looking at.
This would qualify for a much more consolidated programme with the opportunity for further development as we continue to develop and innovate our systems. Our feedback is taken very seriously, and suggested changes can be turned around, tested and implemented in a matter of days, sometimes hours!